Sunday, October 2, 2016

About Dungsum Pemagatshel (Blissful Land of the Lotus)

Pemagatshel Dzongkhag
Let me share something about Dungsum Pemagatshel where I am currently working. Firstly, the name Dungsum, is very profound and heart soothing to people of this valley for generations. All my families and relative were born and brought up and stayed in Pemagatshel till. I studied in Yurung Lower Secondary School till fourth standard. Unfortunately, due to land constraint, we got resettlement at Tsirang Dzongkhag. Due to past karmic, again I got a placement here at Pemagatshel district after my studies. 

Before 1969, this place was called Khedung, and Zhongar Dzongkhag ruled it through the sub-divisional office in Shumar, known as Shumar Dungkhag. All economic activities were planed and executed from Zhongar District. Thus, lacking in development progress in Pemagatshel, whereby ending the influence of Zhongar Dzong and becoming the to Dungsumpa under new name “Pemagatshel” from 1974. Pemagatshel was made full fledge district in 1974, to enhance the social-economic development of the Dungsumpa.

Secondly, the word Pemagatshl meaning “Blissful Land of the Lotus”, was given by His Holiness Chabje Dujum Rinpoche, while empowering Rinchen Terzoe Wanglung in 1969. His Holiness was invited to empower this precious treasure teaching to the people by Lam Sonam Zangpo. According to some oral story, it is belived that, before Rinpoche’s arrival Pematatshel was known as “Khedung” meaning (Khe for khepas and ‘Dung’ for a village in sharchop). Today, Pemagatshel Dzongkhag is divided into 11 geogs, Choekholing, Chonshing, Chimong, Dechenling, Dungmaed, Khar, Yurung, Nanong, Shumar, Norbugang, and Zobel.

Lastly, to share a light on development activities in Pemagatshel. Until, 2008, the development activities in Dzongkha were very minimal comparing to other Dzongkha. It was declared as one of the least developed district in the country. However, with change in governance, Pemagatshel took a rapid change in its development activities.  Connecting all it’s gewogs with motor road, electricity, cellular communication, education, Basic Health Unit and other services. Peoples are making contributing for development activities through their every means. There seems to be balance between spiritual and economic development and people are enjoying in their own way, in every party of the district. I am happy that I have been posted to my ancestral homeland, to witness this joy in my fallow family members all around. 

With Dasho Dzongdag & Regional Heads

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today”- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.




6 comments:

  1. Dung Sam means Three Villages. Any idea which three they meant?

    Great piece. I thought Pema Gatsel was name given by K3. But it could be Dudjum. HH granted my name too during his visit to Tashigang in 1971

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sir, for your inspiring words la. As per verbal information, they say that Dungsum means the meeting of 3 gold stone together(Presently at Dawathang near Dungsum Academy). Yes, that is true that name of Pemagatshel was given by Dudjum Rinpoche la. Thank you sir for your comment la.

      Delete
  2. Nice one! you have came up with informative information about our Dzongkhag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great masterpiece about homeland! Will be a beneficiary material for appearing in VIVA n all......thank you n hope to add more histories abt DuNgSuM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sir...sure I will do my best for the benefit of you all. Do your best in your Viva . Thank you la

      Delete

Book Reviews on “The Power of Positive Thinking”

I am very thankful my brother-in-law gave me this book. I rarely, if ever, write reviews, but this book as impacted me and helped me in a ...